Saturday, April 4, 2009

Where Do I Begin?

Where do I begin? I haven't blogged for such a long time I'm wondering what all I should include. Of course - I shall start with the latest news on my little man! What could be possibly more interesting than him?

11 month old picture


Alyas has slowed down in his physical growth, but is ever changing cognitively. He is starting to move out of the 12mo clothing, but I thought he would do this so much sooner beings how he entered them when he was around 8mo....my once tall baby will probably end up more on the 50% for height. He has his 1 year appointment this Monday. New things include knowing that hats go on heads and today I watched him so intently try to put a cap on a bottle. He is connecting the function of things all the more. He can dance, put a shaped toy in the hole that fits that same shape (with a little direction), roll and throw a ball, AND say "Mom-Mom!" Yes, it is pretty obvious that is his first word. He will say it to me and will repeat you when you ask. We say "Ma Ma but he prefers "Mom-Mom" and almost says it in deeper tone emphasizing the "Mmmmmm sound. He will say "Da Da," but much more randomly and not really on command and at nothing in particular. Brandon was fighting me on this but he finally conceded when I asked "Alyas what's my name? and got "Mmmom-Mmmom" back. Then pointing to Brandon, "Alyas what's his name?" The reply "Mommm-Momm!" Ha! Daddy's little boy takes after Dad in knowing what's most important in this house! :^)

So....his first Birthday was April 1st and I had to play an April Fools joke. I got an idea over 8mo or so ago from Funniest Home Videos and knew I had to copy the idea. The night before Alyas' birthday I put a diaper on him that said "I'm a Big Brother!" I had to tell a few white lies that week so that it would be believable when Brandon saw it the next morning, but it was all worth it (but did feel weird). I got Alyas up and put water on his PJs to make it seem like he had to be changed. I got Brandon up and asked him to change him while I put my makeup on. Then I got out the video camera to see his response. It wasn't near as dramatic as the TV show but still all together worth it. He took the longest look at the diaper before he said anything. Then he slowly looked at me and said "You're pregnant? Really?" He repeated this 3 or 4 times before I said "April Fools"....his hands went to his face and he sat down shaking his head in disbelief. Disbelief b/c I (the one with the dry and not so witty sense of humor) got him...and he totally believed it. He wasn't mad at all just really taken back at how well I worked out the whole thing. I only got part of it on the video of my camera...didn't have enough memory and started taping too early.

Where was I....Alyas' birthday. Anyways, we actually celebrated the night before b/c the night of his birthday we had Bible study. We had a small gathering with our house mates and a few friends. I made cupcakes (I used the supplies and design I borrowed from a friend who also has a 1 year old). Needless to say, Alyas loved the cupcake and I anticipate will love his real birthday cake all the more. We are having a bigger party with both sides of our family in Ames of Easter weekend. Pictures of that to come!

Having fun but not wanting the hat.



Favorite gift: refrigerator magnets!


In other news...I wanted to include a few pictures of a party we had at the PAC house. I was an Easter/Spring party and we had a lot of fun. Sure it was a few weeks before Easter but what kid cares when they actually have an egg hunt? We had the hunt, cookie decorating, games, egg dying, and a video. There were prizes for most of the events. I was asking some trivia questions for the games and decided to throw in some more serious questions. I asked "OK...now who can tell me what's the real reason we celebrate Easter?" Replies were "eggs", "egg hunt", "candy." "No, I said in a religious sense," and got a lot of blank stares and a few giggles from my house mates because of how I phrased the question. One kid said "Huh, church?" I asked, "OK, who died on a cross...." and all the kids yelled "JESUS!" Well, that was encouraging but I learned I need to just be a little bit more up front with my questions in the future.

Rebbeccahelping kids decorate eggs.
Racing around the house to find eggs.

Group picture and making faces.

Lastly, a few pictures of our recent trip to Ames to see Jeffrey (Brandon's younger brother) and Heather, his fiance'. They came to town for a few bridal showers. It was so nice to see them...we think the last time was over 2 years ago at least.

Alyas meeting his Uncle and soon to be Aunt.

The Wall siblings (Marty you are there in spirit).

Alyas' only cousins...I think they would be second cousins? They are the children of Brandon's first cousin Cassy. She has Caden who is 2 and Rori who is 10 months...this was their first time meeting as well.

Alyas and Rori skarfing down some dinner. The funny thing was that Rori out weighs both Alyas and her older brother by about 1-2 pounds. You go girl!

The happy couple soon to be wed in June in Atlanta! Alyas will be attending and going on his first airplane ride. See you both again soon!

2 comments:

Mary Sue said...

great trick on brandon. love the pictures of his first birthday party. also of the family while here in ames. hope you all are feeling well by now. you sure had alot of neighbor kids at your easter party. that is a wonderful ministry. looking forward to your visit at easter time. love bing and mary sue.

Fritz said...

Nice to see the pics of the fam. I wish I could have been there.