I have been thinking a lot this week about something I've observed between my husband and son. Brandon, as the father, has naturally taken on the role as primary disciplinarian, although we both are trying hard to remain consistent in our training of Alyas. Brandon isn't nearly as saddened by having to discipline Alyas and he is much more insistent on him learning the "rules" so to speak. Sure, we know our baby is only 10 months old, but regardless of what the medical and psychological fields of our modern times say and recommend we have already seen that Alyas is capable of learning "yes" and "no" and will respond to these things if we are consistent in our training. The thing I have observed and find so wonderful is that after Brandon corrects Alyas (swats his hand after he proceeds with touching an object after he is told "no touch"), and Alyas cries, then Brandon holds out his hands to comfort Alyas immediately. He'll even say, "come on boy....reconciliation"! Most of the time Alyas doesn't crawl away or cry louder but crawls into his arms and allows Brandon to comfort him. We don't get mad or raise or voices...it's just the way it is. Nothing personal in the offense of our child "disobeying" (which really isn't the right word because he doesn't understand right from wrong) us. I thought it was a great way to teach our child that "no" and installment of discipline are really acts of love and shouldn't ever separate us or hinder our relationship. Then last night I read this in one of the books I'm reading:
"After a child has been spanked, he should not be allowed to flee to the other parent for sympathy. It is important that he find his solace in the one who did the spanking. When God chastens us, it is to draw us to Himself, not to cause us to turn to another. This is a profound issue to consider in your disciplining of children."
Elsewhere this book quotes the psalmist, "Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." The "rod" being the instrument of correction and discipline. I have never in all my life thought of this verse this way, but I'm almost positive that this is what it means. Does not scripture say else where, "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes your, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Proverbs 3:11, 12 (also quoted in the book of Hebrews)
I'm sure this lesson will continue to have great impact on how I view the training of my child as well as my experience of the Lord's discipline in my own life.
2 comments:
Good post! Discipline has been on my mind a lot lately too.
It is the hardest part for me too, but I can tell you from personal experience with 3 children, if you let dad do the majority of it, they will listen better to him! I have really been trying to be better with following through and not just telling them they will get their spanking when daddy gets home. What book are you reading? We used 2, How To Train Up A Child and Shepherding a Child's Heart, both excellent books on discipline. You also must check out www.raisinggodlytomatoes.com- If you knew the Meschke's this is where they use a lot of stuff from!
Post a Comment