Just like a mother duck (and I suppose most other animals) finds feathers and twigs to build her nest for her babies, we humans love to prepare out homes for our new arrivals. However, I must say "nesting" this time around means something so different to me than it did before Alyas was born. I was thinking the other night about the two page list of things to do I had before the birth of Alyas. I can honestly say, I have no idea right now what comprised such a long list. I recall jotting down all the details I wanted to get his room ready....hang shelves, paint decals on the wall, find a place for toys, install baby proofing items, etc. And other stuff too like organize the laundry room/storage space, sort through file cabinet, install car seat, etc. But I know the list was much longer than that. Brandon reminded me that most of all that stuff is really just for me and not the baby anyways. Babies don't care how cute their rooms are. Alyas' room right now has a bed, a dresser, and plain white walls. He does nothing more than sleep there. He gets along with two small shelves of toys in the living room, and that's it. If that's no simple enough, my current list for the birth of LydiaSue has included three things primarily:
1. Wash her clothes
2. Pack our hospital bags
3. And pick up a few odds and ends at the store like lotion, infant diapers, and pacifiers
....oh, and maybe put a sheet on her Moses basket but that might take all of 3 minuets to accomplish.
My housemate Jill posted a picture of her little girl's clothes drying on our clothes line and I thought it was precious so I had to post some of my own...

Section of all pink clothes...

Does it get much cuter than this?

And this?

So, since my list of things is so short and 99% fulfilled the main thing that I have running through my mind is that I want to give as much attention and affection to Alyas as I can right now before my time has to be divided between him and a newborn. The thought of it actually is a little emotional for me. He is so precious and I love his so much I would hate to see him all upset when Mommy can't give him the attention he desires.
Now that the weather is nice we have enjoyed many evenings at the park as a full family. I thank God so much for this time in our lives that is so free from social engagements, errand running, etc. that we can have so much time together. We usually eat all three meals together on a daily basis and Dad is only a flight of stairs away to help me if I need him.
Here we are on a walk to the park one evening.

This day I bought him a hat that looks just like one of Daddy's...and although he isn't much of a hat fan he kept it on for quite a while.

When we're not at the park I try to let him get outside in the garden to kick the ball around....which is by far one of his favorite things to do.


And I want to give him time to just be a boy. He'll soon be exposed to much more estrogen, so the muddier he gets, the more earthworms he digs up, and the more sticks he puts in his mouth the better I suppose.

My apprehensions aside, he really has already shown so many signs that he'll be an excellent big brother. He loves to love on the other babies here and is always excited to see them. The first thing he says when Juliann comes over from next door is "hug, hug, hug?"
I'm sure he'll welcome LydiaSue into the world with a big hug as well!
1 comment:
Lydia Sue is a beautiful name! Enjoy these last precious days as a family of 3...can't wait to hear new of her arrival!
Post a Comment