Sunday, September 27, 2009

High Church, Low Church, Middle Church???

So this Sunday we visited another Anglican church (you have to experience some of the native culture...and how could you miss the Queen's very own church?). This one had a much different feel. It was a "High Mass" and was complete with liturgy, hymns, bells, incense, and chants. There is a "Low Mass" as well but we don't know the major differences yet. We have learned that the Anglican Church has many different "flavors" of expression you could say. The service was what some might say very "reverent" and incorporated all 5 senses into the service. This was very new and neat to experience. After the service was done the entire cathedral was full of smoke - almost outlining the sun rays that beamed through the stain glass windows. The thought I had was that it smelled old wood. At one point the smells were more musky and after communion smelled sweeter....the possible connection to Christ's death and resurrection may have been what was trying to be conveyed?



After the service we ate some "pasties". They are these popular food items that are shaped like what an American might know as a hot pocket (but do not connect any of the other horrible correlations that come along with hot pockets), have a crust like a pastry, and taste similar to a good pot pie. We also conversed over drinks at this little Italian place on the river and Andrea and I snapped a few photos. She is learning photography and has had some training in it; so, since it was always been an interest of mine, that I've never developed, I've asked her to take me under her wing.

Here's a quick picture of something we run into, literally, all the time here. SPIDERS! YUCK! I don't personally believe they are one of God's greatest creations, but this year supposedly there is an unprecedented population, or infestation, of them. I would like a few more pictures closer up....but not too close of course!

I will attempt to learn how to connect a slide show of my other pictures to this blog for those of you who might read this...that way I could eliminate some of my duplicate postings/emails of pictures.

No comments: