Montessori teaches that what the brain needs to learn must first come through the sensory experience of the hands. The use of different textures is very important for this. Brandon decided that dead grass and mud were the perfect specimens for LydiaSue to begin her exploration of the world. I was none the less very reassured by this picture!
Montessori also encourages the use of simple, wooden toys in a child's environment to help them understand the function of objects as well as learning their various characteristics.
Montessori also emphasizes the need for children to be outside and to explore the world in its most natural form. I totally agree with this, but not so sure if this would have been the activity I would have chose for Alyas to do...
It's a good thing Montessori teaches that children should learn by doing every day house hold chores like laundry!
One thing that Montessori is not big on are things like imagination or actives like the dressing up like make believe characters. But as I said we are not doing a complete home make over here. I had to include these pictures/video because I found them pretty funny.
This is supposed to be a replica of Buzz Light Years Helmet...
Lydia dresses up as Woody...
If you would like to encourage Brandon please leave your comments and I'll pass them on!
2 comments:
Oh my goodness....this looks like such a fun household! Would love to hear what books you guys are reading. I'm very interested in the Montessori method...and love the Wall take on it. : )
My favorite part of those videos of Alyas were Brandon's snickering laughter at the end. :) You can tell he's enjoying it as much as the kids!!
Post a Comment